Wednesday 7 November 2012

More annoyed than insecure!



Insecure and writing go hand in hand as most of us know!  I've learned to cope with it, but what I can't get my head around is the way I dilly and dally some days and basically do anything to avoid writing. 

I love writing, so what's going on? 

Yes, I'm tired after work.  Yes, I have other things I probably should do instead of writing.  BUT I've already worked out how to deal with that stuff - I give myself a writing 'slot'.  So why is it so hard to pop in the memory stick and get going?  It's worse when I'm on my own in the house, strangely enough.  I write best with my husband on the X-Box at the other end of the room talking into his headset and making loads of noise.

Maybe I can't cope with the pressure to make the most of my time alone and get lots down?

Do let me know if you have the same sort of problem!

Happy November Insecure Writer's Support Day!

You can find out who else is taking part over at Alex J Cavanaugh's blog.

9 comments:

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Yes - me too, sometimes. I just begin typing - anything really and before I know it I am back in my story. Some people suggest a kind of writing/feelings diary thing too. Like writing introspective stuff about writing... Just suggestions, of course.

Luanne G. Smith said...

I do have the same problem. And I think I've figured out that at least part of my problem is that I know how much emotional energy it's going to require of me to get my head in the scene and write. It's like gearing up for a workout on the treadmill or something. Once I start I'm fine. I just have to force myself to start.

Jennifer Joyce said...

I've been the same lately - any excuse not to sit down and write. Email, twitter, making a cup of tea, checking something on the internet, my blog. Sigh.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I understand. My wife is usually busy with her stuff, which gives me the freedom to write. When she's not - not so much.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm definitely more productive when I have a short amount of time - I get on with it. Give me a whole day, and it'll take ages for me to get started. I have no discipline.

Patsy said...

I'm the same. When there's no reason not to write I find myself doing other things.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

If my husband is playing the Wii or watching football, I guess I kind of feel like he's goofing off, too. Not that writing is goofing off, per se, but it's not washing the dishes, doing the laundry, all that other crap that needs to be done, etc. It's so easy to think of all the other stuff that needs to get done. We just need to remind ourselves that writing is an important item on our 'to do' list, too. :)

Murr Brewster said...

I heard some renowned author once explained that he always waits for the muse to strike. And it strikes at precisely 10am every day.

I have no trouble writing unless I think I'm getting off on the wrong track or muddling things, and then my confidence is off. I solve it by figuring out what problem I need to solve, and then I get in the shower and the solution comes to me. It always does. I may be the pruniest writer in America.

Melissa Sugar said...

I know how you feel. I am really bad about dilly dallying around. I am the opposite, though, I cannot seem to get any writing done at home. The kids, my husband,the dogs, everyone and everything compete with my attention when I am at home. I do my best writing when I am in the car. I get to carpool line an hour early and I write. I try to arrive everywhere I go- soccer practice, cheer practice etc, as early as I can and I write without any interruptions.